Thursday, January 5, 2012

Update: Imperial Guard

What day is it today? Oh, yea it’s Thursday. It should be Friday, or at least that’s what I keep thinking. It was only a four day work week, but somehow it feels much like a regular five day one.
So what’s new in the hobby? Well, I finished up my High Elf Dragon, took me almost 3 months of procrastinating to put it together, but it's done! Also, I moved all my High Elves into a cabinet I bought so my room looks less cluttered. This was on my resolution list so I can check it off. The year looks to be on a good start so far!

All that aside, I have been cleaning and organizing to prepare for the Imperial Guard. Most of the items I purchased were from different vendors so there are probably around 10 packages of things coming to my house in the next week (the first arrived yesterday), kinda exciting.

So, while I wait I have been browsing the forums and various blogs looking for conversion/theme inspiration for my IG. Currently there are two main sources of inspiration and I’d like to share them with you and give some credit where credit is due. Click the links below to see some awesome stuff!
So this Marshall guy has some amazing talents. I don’t expect to be able to paint like this guy any time soon, so you shouldn't expect to see such a rad paint job on my dudes (yea I said rad).
 

The plan is to convert my Chimera’s similarly, if not identically, to what he has done. On the blog he shared some of what he did to accomplish the look, all simple conversions which I feel like I can handle. The turret is a SM predator turret with a multi-laser glued on. For the treads, he flipped them around to make the back end stick out, sort of like a Bradley Fighting Vehicle. On closer inspection the turret is elevated significantly from the hull. I have seen conversions with the Predator turret and they sit kind of low, he must have increased the height somehow and I plan to try and replicate this with a few ideas I have 

Rad right?
The Valkyrie conversion I’m on the fence about and will most likely not do (I really like the stock Valkyrie), but I thought I would post a picture because it is still very original and very awesome! 


Go Go Go!

I love the idea of having some Guardsmen repelling down my Valkyries, it looks bad ass. Marshall has something similar, these pictures are from Senji Studios, check them out. 

So there we go. These are the blogs and conversions that inspired me to start the Imperial Guard army. I'm still searching for a good way to add some night vision goggles to my guardsmen to give them a more updated look. More than likely I'll be doing some Greenstuff sculpting and if all goes well I'll try out some casting too. Hopefully I'll have some work in progress posts and maybe some tutorials on the casting if I ever figure it out. 

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment