Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Arrival of a Grudge Thrower

My new dwarf grudge thrower

I finally got my hands on a Dwarf Grudge Thrower and this thing is, to borrow the parlance of a good friend, razmataz. The detail on the crew is amazing. Bringing out the detail in their beards is going to be so much easier than the warriors and quarrelers. The grudge thrower itself has detailed scroll work all around the base. Also, it's a cool little touch to have the bucket of the grudge thrower shaped like a hand.

Once I got it out of the box I noticed a there are some areas affected by air bubbles and some other issues. I decided to put off patching those issues with green stuff until after I assembled it. Mostly, because I wanted to get it out on the battlefield to use against Liable. It performed admirably, taking down a hydra with a single shot in the first turn, though I'll leave that story for another post.

Once I get the green stuff sorted I'll have to figure out how to paint it. I still need to figure out the colors for my dwarf army. It'll take me a bit longer but I'd really like to try to emphasize that the dwarfs are a citizen army and not give them strict uniforms. Of course the professional soldiers like Hammers and Iron Breakers will have a consistent look, for all the rest I'm thinking of varying them between four colors.

Of course, for the grudge thrower itself this doesn't really matter. It'll be a combination of gold, black, silver and grey. The crew is a different story. I suspect it's safe to say that each war machine is owned and crewed by a guild/clan so maybe I could try to incorporate that into the way I color them somehow. I'll have to review my army book.

Some pictures of the dwarf thrower below. I highlighted some of the deficiencies in the piece. All told I'm pretty happy with it.
This guy turned out pretty good. The rod with the hand on top is an awesome touch.
When I opened the package it took me a moment to figure out this guy is turning a crank to reset the  grudge thrower
The fraying at the bottom of his coat is the only defect I saw on the crew. I suspect an air bubble didn't get squeezed out before the material set.
Clearly, as his expression indicates, lifting rocks into the grudge thrower's bucket is tough work. Take a break guy, it'll be good for you.

Of course the grudge thrower itself. The two pieces I had to attach to the base will need some green stuff to fill in the gaps. There's a crease visible in the arm where it looks like the top and bottom didn't quite square with each other. Not sure if I can do much about that other than distract people with an awesome paint job.
Some of the same defects are visible on this side as well. It's also possible to see a bit of a bend in the base. Even so this piece looks fantastic and I'm psyched to get it painted up.

No comments:

Post a Comment