Saturday, December 17, 2011

Review - Gale Force Nine: Battlefield in a Box Large Pine Wood

I promised to do a review on the Gale Force Nine: Battlefield in a Box Large Pine Forest, so here it is. The first thing I noticed is the box was a lot bigger than I thought it would be and the packaging was more than sufficient to keep the contents secure and safe.

After unpacking and pulling everything out I was surprised to find out just how heavy and sturdy the base area of the woods are. The box includes two base areas and the materials seems to be resin which has a significant heft to it, they will not be moving around your gaming table, that's for sure. The detail on the bases are good enough by my standards. They appear to have put at least a two stage highlight on them which makes the textured surface really pop out.


In the box you also get five trees, two taller ones, one medium one, and than a smaller one. The tall ones are much larger than I thought they would. Together the trees really look nice and fill out the base well, completing the overall forest look. The box also comes with one sculpted stump. While I would probably rather have another small tree in the box, the stump looks really nice itself, and is highlighted to the same standards as the trunks of the trees.


The box also contains a small package of flock that you can use for the base. I have yet to decide if I will use the flock myself, to be honest, the woods look pretty nice without it. If I do end up flocking them I will probably just use the flock blend I used for my table. It was nice of them to leave it as an options and it lets you customize the woods to your liking.


The price was about $30 and while I could have probably built something similar for a lot cheaper I find the convenience of having this ready to play, right out of the box piece, worth the price. The materials are top quality and I think it would be hard for me to reproduce (not impossible). It was well worth the price in my book.

All and all, I am pretty please so far. I'll be looking to snag another one of these if I can find one in stock, perhaps I can find a better deal online too. I will also be looking at picking up the Elven Tower that is part of the Battlefield in a Box line. Seems appropriate being that all my WHFB armies are elves.

Pick one up if you want a relatively hassle-free woods.


1 comment:

  1. I agree, they are excellent trees. They added a lot of personality to the game we played the other night.

    Looking at the website for them you'd probably want to use flock them with the same hue of green used on you're board. If you used the stuff in the box they'd end up looking kind of garish in contrast.

    ReplyDelete