Thursday, November 10, 2011

Bloodied but undead


Last week I played a game with Liable where I used my dwarfs as Vampire Counts. I spent the week before the big battle carefully planning my 2500 point army. Trying to ensure I had an anvil unit, some hammer units, and a few units just to keep my flanks secure. I thought my plan had a good chance of succeeding.

I was disastrously wrong. Liable's Dark elves rode right over my army. He neatly tenderized them with magic then sent in his troops to devour them. It was slaughter, massive whole sale slaughter.

Before now my dwarf rune lords had always protected me from magic so I never really thought much of the magic phase. I did all my damage in the shooting phase then mopped up in the close combat phase. Now here I was with my undead army, no ranged units and at a loss for what to do in the magic phase. I should have heeded the advice from the forums and committed my vampire lord to magic to pump him up for offense magic and dispelling. Especially against the Dark Elves who can have a near endless supply of magic dice.

One of the most painful mistakes I made was spending all of my magic dice to stop some of Liable's big hitting spells. I felt pretty good when I stopped Occum's Mind Razor, only to watch him parcel out the rest of his power dice on easy to case hex spells that made my army useless.

I know the vampire counts can be awesome. The image in my head of a noble, yet blood thirsty vampire leading a horde of undead won't let me believe otherwise. For now though, I'm heading back to lead my dwarf throng where good ol' fashion gun powder determines how a battle is one, not flimsy unreliable magic.

-David

No comments:

Post a Comment