Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Painting Progress

I should be taking a nap, but instead I thought I would snap some pictures of what I have been working on this week paint-wise. I haven’t setup a proper light box yet, nor am I using a great camera (just my phone camera), so you will have to forgive the quality. Recently I have been trying to knuckle down and get my DE army all painted up. I manage to finish all of my remaining repeater crossbowmen (or is it repeater crossbowelves) last week, so it was time to move on to something else.Again, sorry for the terrible pictures, I'll be putting together a proper setup soon.

Pain in the butt.

To start, I have been working on mass painting my remaining Cold One Chariots and Cold One Knights. I really wish I would have not assembled the chariots prior to painting them. Trying to hit all of the spots on the Cold One’s underside is a huge pain in the ass. With some maneuvering and straining, I think I have them properly covered now, just need to go in with red and touch up some rough spots. Once that’s done, the Chariots themselves are a breeze to paint up. 

An almost finished Chariot, just needs some final touches and a wash.

Another shot.

On a side note, if you are interested, I used Tomb King Chariots in my conversion, an idea I got from Nikephoros over at Bringer of Victory, here’s a link. I used to run a version of his Chariot/Hydra list, though now (since I don’t typically do tournaments) I just run a list of whatever strikes me as interesting at the moment.

Cold One Knight getting its first paint.

The Cold One Knights, thankfully, paint up pretty fast and are a lot more accessible than those charioted Cold Ones. If it wasn’t for the cluster f*** I created by gluing everything on my chariots down, I would say I enjoy painting Cold Ones, the models are fantastic.

Bad lighting, but a shot of my work on the dragon.

Hard to tell, but the tongue is purple!

Speaking of fantastic models, I have also started adding some paint to my Black Dragon. It’s happening in sort of a piece-meal fashion along with everything else, but I’ve decided to just paint what strikes me at a particular moment. It seems to be working well as I have a lot more focus (relatively speaking). Maybe jumping from model to model, painting one thing here and another thing there, is what is required to manage mass painting sessions with my undiagnosed ADD.
Progress on my last handlers.

Shot with an almost finished handler.

Next, I have started piece-meal painting of the last War Hydra handlers. These will have red skins to match their respective Hydra. My other Handlers all have skins that match the color I painted their Hydra up with, so this is just a continuation of that idea.

Corsair test model, hard to tell, but the green really stands out.

Another shot.

Finally, I think I have picked a color scheme for my first unit of Corsairs. I already know that the other unit will be wearing red sea dragon cloaks to match the theme of my army and that units standard (red sea dragon). I have a basic idea that I want the unit to be some form of green to go along with a Cthulhu type theme. So, Snot Green seemed like the best choice. I like the bright green color, but I don’t know if I’m 100% sold on these test models yet. Why? Well, originally I thought about going with black armor and gold trim instead of the bolter gun silver. After painting it up, I wasn’t too excited about it, it didn’t have enough color, so I went with silver. I’m also a bit weary the green pants and sleeves will look a bit Peter Pan-y, something that doesn’t quite strike me as terrifying. All that said, I have warmed up to the colors recently, but I’m not ready to commit. I will meditate on it a bit more before I finish the unit.

Now for some 40k!

That’s what I have been working on this week. It’s Tuesday, so tonight Dave is coming over to try out Assault on Black Reach with me. It should be a lot of fun and I’m looking forward to trying out some new rules. Who knows, maybe it will push me more towards looking into getting that Air Cav list.

1 comment:

  1. I love the dragon and chariots so far. They look really bad ass. My dwarfs will have to work even harder to shoot them up before they can eat them.

    You might be able to avoid a Peter Pan look on the Corsairs you might want to use either something closer to an olive green or mix some brown in with it to make it a little dirtier. Barring that you could put a dark wash over the top too.

    ReplyDelete